Online Learning Modules and Assessments: Weeks 3 and 4
1. Why is it important to have a classroom management plan? What are the most important elements that this plan should include?
A teacher needs to have a classroom management plan so that everyone can understand the types of behavior expected, and the consequences in case that behavior is not met. This allows for an efficient and safe learning environment.
The most crucial components of a classroom management plan include the rules, procedures and consequences in regards to classroom behaviors
2. How can procedures that are well developed and specifically taught reduce behavior problems?
Procedures should be created and students are informed of their meanings and purposes. That is, student should be informed why, where and when the procedure is needed. Also, they should be informed how the procedure should be implemented. Given that every student understands what is expected of him/ her in each situation, then there occur less instances of misbehavior among them
3. Name at least four things teachers should keep in mind when delivering positive or negative consequences.
i) Positive consequences are most effective when a teacher explains to his/ her students exactly what they correctly did
ii) If applied correctly, positive consequences can be just as powerful, or even more powerful compared to negative consequences in the prevention of unwanted behavior
iii) Negative consequences should be delivered with certainty to show students that the consequences are positive about the decision, and that their minds won’t be changed
iv) Negative consequences should be firmly delivered. However, the teacher should do this without anger. Also, the negative consequence must be linked to the negative behavior
4. Ms. Gardner teaches seventh-grade science. For the first time in her career, her room is equipped with several lab stations. Because of this, she plans to have her students perform more hands-on experiments. She is excited by this prospect but also concerned that her students will be disruptive as they go to their lab stations and work in small groups. She is also concerned that her students will get hurt if they are not careful at the lab stations. To alleviate her concerns, help Ms. Gardner:
a. Develop a set of classroom rules
i) Students will be barred from accessing lab stations unless they are permitted and/ or under supervision
ii) Lab groups will be assigned for purposes of minimizing the disorderly behaviors
iii) The safety concerns will be addressed before students move to lab stations
iv) Horseplay at lab stations are disallowed
b. Create at least three procedures for walking to and working at the lab stations
i) While in the lab, students must walk slowly and carefully
ii) Unless it is absolutely crucial, no student should leave from his/ her lab station
iii) Be cautious when moving lab equipment and chemicals
5. Sierra, a student in Ms. Gardner’s science class, is shy and often anxious. However, when working with a partner at a lab station, she usually is very talkative. This disruptive behavior often results in her and her partner missing important teacher directions and not completing labs on time. Name at least two surface management strategies that Ms. Gardner could use to address Sierra’s disruptive behavior. Explain why you chose these strategies.
The major surface management strategies which Mrs. Gardner could apply to address Sierra’s disruptive behavior are:
i) Redirecting – it involves asking students to do tasks such as reading or answering questions. This ensures that a student’s attention is refocused.
ii) Planned Ignoring- intentional ignoring is applied when a teacher is convinced that a behavior such as tapping a pen will run its course, and that it will not disrupt others. It is very beneficial if the teacher understands the desires and personality of every student
Given the student’s behavior and personality, the teacher finds it effective in dealing with the behavior through the application of any of the surface management strategies indicated above
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
The post Why is it important to have a classroom management plan? appeared first on nursing writers.